What is the Therasuit™?
The Therasuit™ is a soft dynamic orthosis consisting of a cap, vest, shorts, knee pads, and shoes that are connected to each other through a system of elastic bands. It is a safe, effective tool that we use combined with our intensive exercise program to accelerate the individual's progress.
The Therasuit™ provides proprioceptive feedback to the body. This feedback reduces pathological reflexes, restores physiological muscle synergies (proper patterns of movement) and loads the entire body with weight. It influences muscle tone, balance and the position of the body in space and faciliates optimal postural alignment. Muscles are used more efficiently while in a corrected position, helping to produce long term gains.
The Therasuit™ is designed for individuals with neurological disorders including, but not limited to:
- Cerebral Palsy
- Traumatic Brain Injuries
- Developmental Delays
- Spinal Cord Injuries
- Neuromuscular Disorders and more!
What are the benefits of using the TheraSuit™?
- Improves proprioception and body awareness
- Reduces pathological reflexes
- Provides dynamic correction to body alignment and posture while restoring proper patterns of movement
- Influences vestibular system
- Stimulates the brain to re-train central nervous system
- Provides tactile and sensory stimulation
- Accelerates the progress of newly learned movements & functional skills
- Normalizes muscle tone
- Enhances balance and coordination
- Minimizes uncontrolled movements in ataxia and athetosis
- Provides resistance to strong muscles to further increase strengthening
- Promotes development of ﬁne and gross motor skills
- Improves bone density
- Helps improve hip alignment through vertical loading over the hip joint