The Therasuit Method® is a combination of a multitude of techniques and methods based upon how the body moves. Founded by Izabela and Richard Koscielny (Physical Therapists and parents of a daughter with Cerebral Palsy), there hope was to create a whole-body approach to treatment for those afflicted with neurological disorders.
The TheraSuit Method is based on an intensive and specific exercise program to eliminate pathological reflexes and establish a new, correct movement is of significant importance.
The TheraSuit® is a soft, proprioceptive, dynamic, orthosis, consisting of a cap, vest, shorts, knee pads, and shoes. Each piece is connected with tension bands that are aligned in the direction of muscle fibers. The bands can be pulled for greater resistance to cue the muscle to work harder. The tension also creates and maintains the body in proper alignment during activity performance with intent to carry over when the suit is off.
Core stabilization is reinforced with the use of the TheraSuit®. It is essential to maintain optimal alignment during functional activities, such as crawling or ambulation.
A few of the many benefits of the TheraSuit® with its’ external stabilization-
- Re-train The Central Nervous System
- Creates alignment of the body
- Improve bone density development
- Provide tactile and sensory stimulation as well as proprioceptive input
- Provide dynamic correction to restore proper movement patterns and posture
- Support weak muscles
- Provide loading to the body for gravitational pressures and influence the vestibular system